Colorado Surrogacy Laws
There is no Colorado case law or any statute that prohibits would-be parents from practicing gestational surrogacy or traditional surrogacy in Colorado. As a result, both types of surrogacy are permitted in Colorado and are practiced throughout the state, including Denver, Aurora, and Colorado Springs.
Laws Concerning Parentage Orders in Colorado
Colorado allows for its courts to grant pre-birth parentage orders to both married and unmarried opposite-sex couples, regardless of whether either intended parent is genetically related to the child.
While Colorado allows courts to grant pre-birth parentage orders to same-sex couples, they must be married or in a civil union. Parentage orders are governed under the Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure (C.R.S. § 15-11-121(2)).
Egg and Sperm Donor Law in Colorado
Under statute, a Colorado sperm or egg donor is not the parent of a child conceived by means of assisted reproduction—except when a husband provides sperm for or consents to assisted reproduction by his wife (C.R.S. § 19-4-106 (2009).).
When a married woman and her husband consent to assisted reproduction using sperm donated by a man who is not her husband, the husband is treated in law as if he is the natural father of the child.
Assisted reproduction must be performed under the supervision of either a licensed physician or advanced practice nurse with the written consent of the intended parents and donor(s).
Colorado Stepparent and Second-Parent Adoption Law
Colorado statute allows for anyone over the age of twenty-one to petition the court to grant an adoption (C.R.S. § 19-5-202.). Colorado courts will grant stepparent adoptions to married and unmarried heterosexual couples living in Colorado and to same-sex couples who are either married or in a civil union.
Fertility Clinics in Colorado
- Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine, 303-788-8300 and 303-655-0150
- Advanced Reproductive Medicine, 719-314-3333 and 303-724-8089
- Conceptions Reproductive Associates, 303-794-0045 and 303-449-1084
- HQA Fertility Centers, 877-475-2229
- Conceptions Reproductive Associates of Colorado, 303-794-0045
- Rocky Mountain Fertility Center, 303-999-3877
- Reproductive Medicine & Fertility Center, 719-475-2229
- Denver Fertility: Albrecht Women’s Care, 720-420-1570
- Durango Reproductive Medicine, 970-382-9505
- Associates in Women’s Health Care, 719-543-6755
- Pueblo Women’s Center, 719-546-2229
Consult Baby Steps
You don’t have to face complicated Colorado surrogacy laws all by yourself. You can secure the help you need by contacting Baby Steps Surrogacy Center. Just give us a call at 412-884-2229 or reach us through the contact buttons at the top of this page.